To find out the benefits and effects of garbage enzymes
Set up two containers. Fill each container with water up to 500ml by filling a measuring container with 500ml and then pouring the water into the container. The measurement of water must be read at eye level. Use a beaker with a capacity of 250ml to measure 50g of brown sugar. Pour the sugar into the container filled with water. Then, mix the solution with a spoon to dissolve the sugar. Use the 250ml beaker to measure 150g of leftover vegetables. Meat cannot be included. Then, pour the leftover vegetables into the container. Ferment it for three months. Seal the container tightly and loosen the container cover once every two days for the first month and then every week for the second month. This is to release any gases formed in the container. By the third month, the garbage enzymes can be taken out to be experimented with.
Garbage enzymes are effective as pesticide.
Apparatus and Materials List:
1. Beaker 250ml x1
2. Measuring container x1 litre
1. Brown Sugar x100g
2. Leftover vegetables and fruit skins x300g
3. Water x1 litre
4. 1.5 litre containers x2
5. Spoon x1
The volume of brown sugar, leftover vegetables and water in each container.
1. Fill the Measuring container with water up to 500ml (Read at eye level)
2. Use a 250ml beaker to measure 50g of brown sugar. (50g = 50ml)
3. Pour 50g of brown sugar into the container filled with water
4. Mix the solution with a spoon to dissolve the sugar
5. Measure 150g of leftover vegetables and fruit skins using the measuring beaker and pour them into the container.
6. Repeat steps 1-5 for the second container
7. Seal the container tightly
8. Briefly loosen the container cover for 5 minutes and seal the container again once every two days for the first month and then every week for the second month.
The colour of the garbage enzymes becomes lighter over the days. It changes from dark brown to light green.
The amount of water, sugar and leftover vegetables may not be accurately measured.
The container may not be tightly sealed.